National Coconut Cream Pie Day
Coconut Cream Pie Recipe
Five Food Finds about Coconuts
- The coconut is not a nut. In fact, it isn’t a fruit either. It is a seed!
- Coconut oils accelerate the metabolism. Of course, if you put them in pie you may not notice the effect.
- The sailors aboard Vasco de Gama’s ships gave the coconut its name. They called it “Coco”, named after a grimacing face or hobgoblin.
- The water from the coconut has traditionally been used when commercial IV solutions of plasma have not been available.
- Coconut oils also contain four growth hormones, called cytokinins, and three sets of chromosomes – or triploids – that help the development of many organisms. [Source: Foodimentary]