May 21 is...
National Strawberries and Cream Day
Simply Served: Strawberries Floating in Cream
- Strawberries are the only fruit with seeds on the outside.
- The ancient Romans believed strawberries alleviated symptoms of melancholy, fainting, all inflammations, fevers, throat infections, kidney stones, bad breath, attacks of gout, & diseases of the blood, liver & spleen.
- Strawberries are the first fruit to ripen in the spring.
- Over 53% of seven to nine-year-olds picked strawberries as their favorite fruit.
- In a test, subjects who ate nitrate rich foods like strawberries, before exercising burned 100 more calories than those who did not. [Source: Foodimentary.com]