National Spaghetti Day
There are times when we put something in front of a toddler with only one thought in mind, "Go for it!" Those words set the 'food moment' as one of the funniest, perhaps the messiest, times in the life of a child...that being, of course, eating spaghetti! There are no directions, no suggestions, no rules as to how to eat that which is set before him or her for the very first time. Any hopes on teaching manners at this point...totally out of sight, out of mind!
What about as an adult? Does the same hold true? Do options exist to slurp it, twirl it, cut it or just simply stuff it in and bite it? OR Must we, as adults, abide by any rules of etiquette? One major difference does exist between the dinner course for the adult vs. the child: The fork is now the utensil (spoon is optional), not the hands. Messiness is still in the picture!
One thing we can all agree upon is while eating spaghetti may be messy, it is awesomely delicious for any age. No need to ask what's for dinner when the tomato, garlic, and herb aroma wafts through the air. In addition, spaghetti recipes are endless not limited to an Italian pasta sauce recipe and can be prepared with or without meat. Click the image above for some different spins on spaghetti for dinner. Click the images below for an Italian spaghetti recipe and a Whole Wheat Spaghetti Salad!
Easy Spaghetti Sauce (Italy) [Recipe]
Whole Wheat Spaghetti Salad Recipe with
Italian Sausage, Tomatoes, Olives, and Basil Vinaigrette
Thanks Foodimentary for...
Five Food Finds about Spaghetti
- The word, Spaghetti is the plural form of an Italian word spaghetto, meaning “thin string” or “twine.”
- Pasta existed for thousands of years before anyone ever thought to put tomato sauce on it.
- You can fry your leftover spaghetti noodles.
- The average person in Italy eats more than 51 pounds of pasta every year.
- According to Miss Manners (a.k.a. Judith Martin), "A fork is the only utensil that may be used to eat spaghetti while anyone is looking." No spoon necessary!
Our feline friends do not seem to have any problem at all staying clean!