Welcome to Awakenings

Life IS history in the making. Every word we say, everything we do becomes history the moment it is said or done. Life void of memories leaves nothing but emptiness. For those who might consider history boring, think again: It is who we are, what we do and why we are here. We are certainly individuals in our thoughts and deeds but we all germinated from seeds planted long, long ago.

Saturday, November 24, 2012

1963 Memorable Music Moments

What are your most Memorable Music Moments of 1963?
Any of these. . .
 
 
January 11, 1963:
"Please Please Me" is released in the United Kingdom
 by The Beatles, with "Ask Me Why" as the B-side.


 
March 25, 1963:
"Ring of Fire" became the biggest hit
of Johnny Cash 's career.
 
 
June 7, 1963:
The Rolling Stones first single "Come On"
is released in the UK and reaches #21.
 
 
Highest chart positions in 1963
 
 
Embrace the Past. . .
 
"Jobs" and "Freedom"
Joan Baez and Bob Dylan perform at 1963's
March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom.
August 28, 1963:
One of the largest political rallies
for human rights in United States history called for
civil and economic rights for African Americans.

Whisperings from the Past

Whispers of the past may surface as invitations from the heart,
refreshment for the mind, or invigoration of the soul.
Sometimes they awaken images once an intricate part of life
but now appear as shadows of pain and suffering:
gone but never forgotten.

Food for thought…

What formidable image
Is reflective of your past
Which if could be changed
Would never be recast?
File:Tiny Star.gifFile:Tiny Star.gifFile:Tiny Star.gif 
In those days
Of Rock ’n’ Roll
Did you live
The music of soul?
File:Tiny Star.gifFile:Tiny Star.gifFile:Tiny Star.gif 
Is there a friend or foe
Back in your past
Who lived a die-young life
Restless and fast?
File:Tiny Star.gifFile:Tiny Star.gifFile:Tiny Star.gif 
What events of the past
Awaken your senses
Maintaining alertness
Keeping up defenses?
File:Tiny Star.gifFile:Tiny Star.gifFile:Tiny Star.gif 
What is the longest day
That kept you hanging by a thread
One of anticipation
Or just the opposite, dread?
File:Tiny Star.gifFile:Tiny Star.gifFile:Tiny Star.gif 
As you reflect back
On times long past
What vibrant connections
Made your laugh last?

“Bound as our lives are to the tyranny of time, it is true what we know of history that we are delivered from our bonds and escape—into time.”
—A. L. Rouse (1951-1986)


©2012 Awakenings
Sharla Lee Shults
Hope you enjoyed this trip down memory lane! Please share your best memorable music memories!

 

 


5 comments:

  1. I love this post Sharla.. I liked the Beatles and the Monkeys but that video of Johnny Cash is just about my favorite one.. I always like Ring of Fire..Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must admit that I remember watching the Beatles on that Ed Sullivan show. Now you know how old I am! I was shocked by their long hair, which by later standards was no big deal. But at the time, it was definitely "far out."
    Thanks for taking me back to 1963 with today's post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    On 22 November 1963, I was sitting in my music class in junior high school. My music teacher had introduced us to The Messiah by Georg Frederic Handel and Bethoven's Moonlight Sonata when we got the news that John F Kennedy had been assassinated. It was a day I will never forget and I must also say that on this day, I fell in love with classical music.
    Ciao,
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just this past week my brother came over for Thanksgiving with some Hullabaloo videos!! I never thought it was as good as Shindig, or even the Golddiggers (remember that with Joey Heatherton and Frank Sinatra Jr?) but it was a lot of fun watching Frankie and Annette host The Kinks, The Doors, The Supremes, and others! Right there with you, Sandy, watching Ed Sullivan. My father took my sister and I to the Delmonico hotel the night the Beatles arrived. There were kids everywhere, even sitting atop the lamp posts, 20 feet in the air! I was only 5 or 6 but I remember it clearly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a great post about a time I read so much about but of course weren't born yet. Still, some of the music back then was awesome!!

    ReplyDelete