Welcome to Awakenings

Life IS history in the making. Every word we say, everything we do becomes history the moment it is said or done. Life void of memories leaves nothing but emptiness. For those who might consider history boring, think again: It is who we are, what we do and why we are here. We are certainly individuals in our thoughts and deeds but we all germinated from seeds planted long, long ago.

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Boots, Spurs and Cowboy Hats

As iconic symbols of the Western Frontier, boots with spurs and well-worn cowboy hats are at the top of the list. What is it about the cowboy that is so intriguing?

There is handsomeness and a bit of charm within the ruggedness of the cowboy of the Wild, Wild West! Is it the solidness of his boot laden footsteps or the song of his spinning spurs or perhaps the way he tips his hat that draws attention? Of course, it is all of these and the cowboy is not just a cowboy, he is a way of life! 

The cowboy way of life quotes to live by:


Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction.
Don't squat with your spurs on.
Don't judge people by their relatives.
Behind every successful rancher is a wife who works in town.
When you lose, don't lose the lesson.

 

Talk slowly, think quickly.
Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer.
Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older & think back, you'll enjoy it a 2nd time.
Don't interfere with something that ain't botherin' you none.
Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

 

It's better to be a has-been that a never-was.
The easiest way to eat crow is while it's still warm. The colder it gets, the harder it is to swaller.
If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop diggin'.
If it don't seem like it's worth the effort, it probably ain't.


 

It don't take a genius to spot a goat in a flock of sheep.
Sometimes you get and sometimes you get got.
The biggest troublemaker you'll probably ever have to deal with watches you shave his face in the mirror every morning.
Never ask a barber if you need a haircut.

A classic image of the American cowboy, as portrayed by C.M. Russell.

The Cowboy 

He rustles
He wrestles
He loves jerky 
Not pretzels

He herds
He tends
 He fights fiercely
Often defends

 He yippees by day
Ki-yays at night
Handsome and rugged
Fearless on sight

As buckaroo or cowpoke
The ladies he wows
He is more than a boy
Who simply tends cows!
©2013
Sharla Lee Shults

“Look at all the stars. You look up and you think, "God made all this and He remembered to make a little speck like me." It's kind of flattering, really.” –Tombstone

5 comments:

  1. Cowboy, rancher, farmer... I was born and raised in central Manitoba amongst cowboy boots and cowboy hats. I got my first pair of cowgirl boots when I was about six--my second pair about twenty years later. Thank you for this article.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, man, now I'm crying. I was raised with every one of these sayings. Every one! The cowboy life was the only one I knew till I married. Which is also the time I got my first pair of 'fancy' shoes and retired my venerable boots. Oh, the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Born and raised in Wyoming, I have known many cowboys and even dated a few of them. Theirs is a "way of life" that we could all take lessons from. Show me a cowboy hat, and I'll follow you anywhere. :>)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always wanted to be a cowboy--and I'm female. When very young, I had cowboy boots, hat and toy pistol, which I could twirl as good as any cowboy on TV. I even walked like a cowboy called out for a gunfight. I saw western movies every night at 6 PM on on newly invented TV. I think I was a cowboy in another life lol.

    I loved the quotes!!

    Micki

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ti's Really Good one! Cowboy Boot Best Collection of Boots stores in Australia .

    ReplyDelete